Prerequisite: Basic Training in elasticity and a proficiency building models, solving (linear analysis) and post-processing.
This advanced 1-day course covers a wide range of problem classes and is designed to achieve the following objectives:
This course has a 40 minute lecture on Fracture Mechanics that covers specific details about the Contour Integral Method used to extract stress intensity factors. The remainder of the time is hands-on, building and solving problems covering a wide range of practical applications.
- Develop an understanding of the contour integral method for computing stress intensity factors (SIF's) for problems in linear elastic fracture mechanics
- How to create the optimal mesh at singularities (crack tips)
- How to extract SIF's at the crack tip for 2D problems and along the crack front for 3D problems (thru cracks and corner cracks)
- How to create models for which the crack tip is defined parametrically for use in a design study or automation application
- How to perform a 2D planar Crack Path analysis
- How to imbed a crack in a solid body (imported CAD model) and invoke the automesher to separate the elements at the crack face and construct a graded mesh refinement towards the crack tip
- How to include nonlinear affects (e.g. fastener hole propping or interference-fit bushing) which can greatly influence the magnitude of the stress intensity factor
ESRD offers training on-site (at your facility) or at our facility. For more information about the course, pricing, or to schedule a workshop please request training information.
Back to Training Workshops