StressCheck Tutorial: Displacement-Controlled Buckling Analysis
Abstract: Steps for computing a critical buckling force (Pcr) from a displacement-controlled loading on a column with fixed/fixed end conditions. The steps are as follows:
- Fix the in-plane directions at the loaded end.
- Apply a constant imposed displacement of arbitrary value at the loaded end.
- Solve an eigenvalue buckling analysis.
- Extract the resultant force Fy at the loaded end using the linear elastic solution.
- Scale Fy by the buckling load factor computed via the eigenvalue buckling solution.
Related ESRD Resources
Looking for Resources?
Recent News & Events
“Accurate and reliable stresses and Stress Intensity Factors are required for determination of static and residual strength and for crack growth analyses in analysis tools such as AFGROW. For some geometries, industry solutions are either insufficient or nonexistent. The geometry, applied forces, and crack shapes and dimensions must be modeled reasonably well to obtain useful engineering data. The p-version finite element software StressCheck® (ESRD, Inc., St. Louis, Missouri, USA) is used to demonstrate how accurate finite element solutions can lead to good quality engineering analysis.”