Numerical Simulation Series: Mechanical Contact
Abstract: In this edition of ESRD’s Numerical Simulation Series, the computation of mechanical contact via numerical simulation is examined in detail. Highlights include:
- The modified augmented Lagrangian algorithm for frictionless contact
- Mechanical contact implementation and examples
- Modeling of fastened structural connections
- The fastener and link objects
- Remarks on current modeling practices for fastened structural connections
- Model problems.
Looking for Resources?
Recent News & Events
The software provides a highly reliable and user-friendly production stress analysis tool that will replace the Finite Element Method (FEM) tools and failure criteria the experts currently employ for analyzing bonded joints. The software includes an FEM-based handbook format, which allows non-experts to utilize models prepared by specialists. The handbook problems include built-in failure criteria, geometric and material nonlinearities, and the modern FEM technology provides better error control and the treatment of very large aspect ratios.”
Dr. Stephen P. EngelstadTechnical Fellow, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company, Structural Methods and Analysis