Analyzing thick and thin domains is quick and easy with StressCheck®’s Modal & Buckling Solver module. In most cases only one element is needed through a part’s thickness for a reliable solution. The computed natural frequencies and buckling load factors exhibit superconvergence. Pre-stress conditions can be easily handled.
Modal & Buckling Solver
This is accomplished with hierarchic modeling and our unique element formulation.
The Modal & Buckling Solver provides a solver and post-processing functionalities for modal analysis and bifurcation (eigenvalue) buckling. Modal and buckling analyses can be performed for both 2D planar problems (plates and beam elements) and 3D problems (shell, extrude and solid elements).
Key Features and Advantages
Modal analysis supports computation of natural frequencies and their associated mode shapes.
- Mass density may be defined as a constant or as a formula
- Mode shapes can be constrained or unconstrained, in which the first six shapes are rigid body modes
- Can specify a pre-stress for 3D problems to account for initial stress conditions
Buckling analysis supports computation of buckling load factors and their associated buckling mode shapes. Both standard and pre-load buckling options are incorporated. To perform a buckling analysis, StressCheck® first solves the linear problem corresponding to the specified loads and constraints. Using the stress field computed from the linear solution, a geometric stiffness matrix is generated and used for eigenvalue computation.
- Standard buckling provides a buckling load factor for a given loading condition
- Pre-load buckling takes into account an additional fixed set of loads (for example, residual stresses) when reporting the buckling factor for applied loads
- StressCheck®‘s high-order elements minimize detrimental locking effects on the eigenvalue solution and promote proper simulation of mode shapes
- The element formulation permits rapid transitions from thin to thick domains
- In many cases only one element is needed through a part thickness
- Convergence information for natural frequencies and buckling load factors is reported
- No limit on number of eigenvalues to be computed
- StressCheck® Handbook simplifies boundary condition influence on buckling load factor and mode shapes by allowing users to switch between support types
Looking for Resources?
Recent News & Events
“We used StressCheck® on two projects last year, and we were very happy with it. I thank your engineers who provided their insights and suggestions for us during these projects. We really appreciate your team’s contributions this year to the Navy P-8 project. We look forward to working with ESRD again during next year on other Navy projects.”
Dr. Nagaraja IyyerDirector of Engineering, Technical Data Analysis, Inc.